Saturday, July 12, 2008

To my daughter, Tori one day . .(pictures below)

The Joy of my life


It all started on a hot summer day
camping together hours away

When my water broke out of the blue
Not even in my last trimester this could not be true

I head to the hospital with thoughts running wild
This is way to early for my precious child

Transferred to a hospital with special care
While all I could think was this was not fair

They tell you the odds of what can go wrong
And I have to sit there and try to be strong

Everyone is saying it will be alright
But the truth is my daughter is in for fight

A fight she could win a fight she could lose
An outcome that I could not chose

Eight days later the day had come
To finally meet my little one

The first precious moments I had to miss
I was so thankful I got a quick kiss

Not even three pounds you looked so small
I hardly saw a baby at all

The tubes and wires were a frightening sight
I just hoped and prayed you’d be alright

I learned rather fast that there were highs and lows
The emotions I had nobody knows

I came and I held you each and every day
Embracing it so and wishing I could stay

And then came something I could barely believe
You were breathing on your own and ready to leave

I anxiously waited and then answered the phone
Yes, it was true, you could finally come home

We were so fortunate you got stronger every day
And joined us at home after your 65 day stay

We knew the challenges were not over as you face your fist year
But you beat the odds before there is nothing we fear

The first year now behind us it is now in our past
The memories and emotions will forever last

You were a fighter a trooper right from the start
For someone so small you sure captured my heart



- your mom











4 comments:

The Maguire's said...

what a sweet poem..and a great way to capture memories i'm sure you will never forget. happy birthday to tori!!!

Jacques & JoLynn (Dad/Mom) said...

Thanks, Erin. I am glad to see your blog too-It is a fun way to keep up with people and their families. Looks like you are having a good summer. :)

Sarah said...

Almost got tears in my eyes! English Teacher is so proud of how you captured the year in a poem. Looks like Tori enjoyed the cake!

Love, Sarah :)

lani said...

What a beautiful poem--it really captures the emotion of everything you went through together. Happy Birthday, Tori!!!